Black Lives Matter: Where We Stand & Action Plan
The killings by police of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, Ahmaud Arbery, and so many more for many centuries to current day, are part of systemic racism. We want to make our stance clear:
We condemn these racist murders.
We condemn racism of any kind.
We are committed to anti-racism work.
We believe that Black lives matter.
White privilege, white supremacy, and systemic racism must be dismantled. We will not tolerate “all lives matter” or claims of reverse racism. We stand by AMTA’s statement against racism and hate.
As a predominately White team, we acknowledge the responsibility we have in dismantling racism. To support our stand in the fight against racism, our team has developed the follow action plan:
- Education: Internally as a team, we will listen, educate ourselves, and engage in anti-racism trainings and conversations. We will embrace those who offer broader and diverse perspectives, experiences, and backgrounds. We will seek to educate ourselves so that others don’t have to do it for us.
- Amplification: We will share the work and amplify the voices of Black music therapists and educators using our platform. We will amplify voices OUTSIDE of our organization, not exclusive to our own instructors, customers, or stakeholders.
- Connection: We will build long-term partnerships with Black-owned businesses and educators to continue to amplify, share, and support through authentic relationships.
- Accountability: With every product promotion, we will require the instructor to open inquiry into cultural responsiveness, ethics, human rights, appropriation, or implicit bias pertaining to the educational topic. We will provide opportunities for open dialogue with our community to keep us accountable to these action steps and the continual process of learning, growing, changing, and working.
- Diversity: We will purposefully work to diversify our team members and instructors to include BIPOC. Our instructors have always been and will always be compensated for their work.
We recognize that actions speak louder than words. We also recognize that change starts with ourselves, and as professionals, educators, students, leaders, and human beings we are listening, learning, and taking immediate action to make that change.