Older adult groups are great for both you and the community you are serving: groups are practical, cost-efficient, and full of fun social experiences. However, groups also present a unique therapeutic challenge: mixed abilities. Whether it’s cognitive or physical, highs and lows are going to present in each group you lead. Being prepared with activities that are successful for the lowest ability in the group and challenging for the highest ensures that everyone walks away with having had a meaningful experience.
The most powerful thing you bring to a group is your skill to meet everyone where they are at, regardless of ability– and that sets you apart as a leader in healthcare you are! Listen to Meredith Hamons, MT-BC tell you why she sees this challenge as a benefit by hitting play below:
If you’d like to REALLY dig in to building a rockstar program for your seniors, then check out Meredith Hamons’ Zero to Full Time: Older Adults CMTE course. By taking the course, you will:
- Have access to a phone script and business development materials, which will give you the confidence to turn your plans into your first call.
- Be able to turn misunderstandings into opportunities the next time your role as a music therapist comes in question.
- Feel more empowered and confident than ever, advocating for your clients and sustaining your program long-term.
- Walk step-by-step through one simple, manageable business launching checklist that anyone can do, so that all intimidation of running a business is completely dissolved.
- Create a music-filled, engaging older adult program… and make it your dream job!
If you provide music therapy to older adults, then our course is a perfect fit!